Scottie Bordelon is a reporter for WholeHogSports.com. A graduate of the University of Arkansas, Bordelon previously covered high school sports for the Times Record in Fort Smith and the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in Springdale. He is a member of the U.S. Basketball Writers Association and Football Writers Association of America and voter for the Biletnikoff Award.
What Chad Morris said following Day 11 of practice
Arkansas coach Chad Morris directs his players Friday, Aug. 2, 2019, during practice at the university practice field in Fayetteville.
• Continue to watch this football team get better every day. Three pretty tough practices to start Week 2 of camp.
• Cheyenne O'Grady should be back in about two weeks. Had a knee sprain. Same thing with Austin Capps. Should be back by first game. Koilan Jackson may be out 3.5 weeks with a recurring injury in the knee he hurt as a freshman. We opted to go ahead and take care of these injuries now. Jarques McClellion had an interception today. He was in green, but it is precautionary. TJ Hammonds should be back any day from a concussion. Colton Jackson was in a yellow jersey today with a foot injury. Britto Tutt was also scaled back today.
• All the operations for O'Grady, Capps and Koilan Jackson were to goin and cleaning some things up, Morris said.
• Good to have Hudson Henry back out there. Chase Harrell continues to impress us. Grayson Gunter and Blake Kern are also having good camps. Myron Cunningham was able to move back to left tackle. Kirby Adcock was working with the first team at right tackle, Morris said.
• All of the quarterbacks are showing flashes, but consistency is what we're looking for.
• We'd probably open up with Grayson Gunter with the first team at tight end as of now. But it might be a deal where Harrell comes in for the second play.
• This weekend's scrimmage probably won't last as long as last Saturday. It will be in excess of 100 plays, but likely won't reach 175 like last week.
• On turnovers: We don't want to have any turnovers. Offensively, we want zero turnovers. Defensively, we want three. We looked as good offensively yesterday as far as the red zone as we have since we've been here, but today we had three turnovers, some in big moments.
• Greg Brooks hyperextended his thumb on Saturday. He was in a green jersey at today's practice and missed Tuesday's workout.
• O'Grady the last few days had been running with the first team. He had responded before getting injured. That came in a 1-on-1 situation and he just got his legs tangled up.
• Sosa Agim has made a big jump this preseason. TJ Smith has added a lot in the way of leadership. Scoota Harris, too. Hayden Henry, Bumper Pool and Grant Morgan, you see some great things from those guys. Greg Brooks is another name. Beaux Limmer and Cunningham have had strong camps. Joe Foucha is playing as consistent as he has since he's been here. At receiver, TQ Jackson has elite speed. He made some big catches today. Trey Knox had an unbelievable grab today on his birthday.
• We went in shorts today, but we'll be live tomorrow.
• We should be more effective in the running game. Devwah Whaley and Chase Hayden have had a great camp. We want consistency out of Rakeem Boyd, and we've seen that. That's an area we hope to see good production from.
• Ricky Stromberg and Dylan Rathcke bring an edge as freshmen. We have to get more weight on Ricky. He's extremely athletic and they all have a mean streak to them. Man, we're excited about these young guys, who are all getting good reps.
• On Saturday's scrimmage and limiting injury: We always show video of guys taking care of each other in practice. We have to learn to practice the right way. Our coaches constantly teach how to practice that way. Injuries are part of the game, but when we learn to practice how we like those injuries will be fewer.
• We'll eventually announce a starting quarterback, but it will be at the right time.
Have a comment on this story? Join the discussion or start a new one on the Forums.