Scottie Bordelon is a reporter for WholeHogSports.com. A graduate of the University of Arkansas, Bordelon previously covered high school sports for the Times Record in Fort Smith and the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in Springdale. He is a member of the U.S. Basketball Writers Association and Football Writers Association of America and voter for the Biletnikoff Award.
Western Kentucky week:
Practice notebook: Freshman WR absent, Morris' message to fans
Arkansas receiver Trey Knox catches a pass during a game against Colorado State on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019, in Fayetteville.
Arkansas stayed inside Walker Pavilion today as it continued to prepare for Saturday’s game against Western Kentucky. A few notes from the viewing window and Chad Morris’ pre-practice media session:
• Senior left guard Austin Capps was back at practice again today. He has been in a standard red offensive jersey since Sunday. He has missed the last two weeks with a concussion, but appears to be in line to start against the Hilltoppers. He took all of the first-team reps at left guard. The first-team offensive line was (L–>R) Myron Cunningham, Capps, Ty Clary, Ricky Stromberg, Dalton Wagner.
• The second-team offensive line, for what it’s worth, was (L–>R) Brady Latham, Shane Clenin, Austin Nix, Beaux Limmer, Ryan Winkel.
• True freshman receiver Trey Knox was absent from practice today. He is battling the flu, according to a UA spokesperson. Without him, the first group of receivers on the field today was Mike Woods, Koilan Jackson and Tyson Morris. Running back Rakeem Boyd took first-team reps alongside John Stephen Jones, and Grayson Gunter manned the tight end spot. That is also how the offense lined up when we were walking out of practice.
• There were two players in green no-contact jerseys on Wednesday: Boyd and offensive lineman Kirby Adcock. Boyd has been nursing a right-shoulder injury since the Kentucky game. He said after that game he sprained the AC joint in the shoulder. Adcock has been in concussion protocol since the Alabama game. He is listed as day-to-day, Morris said Wednesday.
• Sophomore receiver Mike Woods has been named Arkansas’ offensive captain for this weekend’s game. He was also the unit’s captain for the Ole Miss game. Woods has had a rough go of it of late. He has just two catches for 15 yards and a touchdown in his last three games.
• Morris was asked what his message is to fans ahead of Saturday’s game, which is also Senior Day:
“These guys have gone through a lot, these seniors have,” he said. "They have gone through a lot of transition, change and they’ve been extremely resilient. They keep coming back and coming to work and giving everything they’ve got. They deserve everybody’s best. Every one of our staff, coaches, underclassmen, they deserve their best.
“Our fans, come out and support them. Again they are pouring their heart and soul out. When you’re able to look and see a Scoota (Harris) and watch the way he plays, Sosa (Agim) and these seniors, it’s special to see these guys just keep pouring and giving everything they’ve got into it. It’s in practice. It’s every day in practice. I encourage to get these guys out this week with something positive.”
• Morris was also asked if it was a bit odd having a quarterback play as Ty Storey in practice. He said Ben Hicks, Nick Starkel and Jack Lindsey have each done a good job giving the defense good looks this week. We also saw Hicks put his hand in the dirt and take a rep or two acting as a tight end with the scout team offense.
• A quick note on freshman receiver Treylon Burks. It appeared he tweaked his left knee a bit after catching a pass from a quarterback against air. He did not go through just a whole lot of the first-team offense vs. scout team portion of practice that we were able to see.
• De’Vion Warren is out this week with an ankle injury. Morris said on Monday that Warren would not play against Western Kentucky, and he reiterated it again when updating injuries Wednesday. Warren has five catches for 51 yards this season, and 16 kickoff returns for 326 yards.
WR Trey Knox (flu, according to UA spokesperson)
WR De’Vion Warren (ankle; out this week and will be re-evaluated after bye week)
WR Deon Stewart (torn ACL; out for season)
OL Noah Gatlin (torn ACL; out for season)
OL Colton Jackson (stepped away from game due to injuries)
DL Dorian Gerald (strained artery in neck; out for season)
Have a comment on this story? Join the discussion or start a new one on the Forums.