Anderson: Clarke Will Return to Arkansas

By: Matt Jones
Published: Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Junior guard Rotnei Clarke, who is second in school history in three-pointers made, reportedly was frustrated by a lack of structure and discipline at Arkansas.
Photo by Jason Ivester
Junior guard Rotnei Clarke, who is second in school history in three-pointers made, reportedly was frustrated by a lack of structure and discipline at Arkansas.

— Making an appearance on the statewide call-in show “Sports Talk with Bo Mattingly” Wednesday, Arkansas coach Mike Anderson said guard Rotnei Clarke will return to the school for his senior season.

Clarke had requested his release from the basketball program last month following the firing of John Pelphrey as the Razorbacks’ coach, though it wasn’t clear whether the two events were linked.

“I had a chance to visit with him and his parents as soon as I got here and even as recently as yesterday with him,” Anderson said. “I think Rotnei is at peace and he wants to have a special senior year, and he wants to do it in a Razorback uniform.”

Clarke started all 31 games for the Razorbacks last season, averaging a team-high 15.2 points per game. Clarke was one of the Southeastern Conference’s leading 3-point shooters, making 91 as a junior. He was twice named the league’s player of the week.

Clarke is second in school history with 275 made 3-pointers and could reach Pat Bradley’s record of 366 next season. He also holds the school’s single-game scoring record with 51 points against Alcorn State in 2009.

Discussion