Scottie Bordelon is a reporter for WholeHogSports.com. A graduate of the University of Arkansas, Bordelon previously covered high school sports for the Times Record in Fort Smith and the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in Springdale. He is a member of the U.S. Basketball Writers Association and Football Writers Association of America, and was awarded 2022 Arkansas Sportswriter of the Year.
Notes and observations from Day 10 of Arkansas' fall camp
Arkansas tight end Trey Knox (7) practices, Saturday, August 6, 2022 during a football practice at University of Arkansas practice football field in Fayetteville.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas’ football team went through its 10th practice of the preseason early Tuesday morning outside Walker Pavilion. Here are some notes and observations from the opening viewing periods:
• The lone Razorbacks player in a green no-contact jersey was offensive lineman Marcus Henderson, who is working his way back from a pectoral injury. Defensive back Jacorrei Turner has been back on the practice field for a few practices now following a shoulder injury this offseason.
• Players not practicing as of now: Defensive linemen Taurean Carter (knee) and Marcus Miller (knee), quarterback Kade Renfro (knee) and running back Dominique Johnson (knee). Cam Ball was back in the swing of things today but not in full pads. He had at least one rep with the second-team defensive line during an early team period.
• A rep from the Detroit Lions was present at practice.
More from WholeHogSports: Video from the Razorbacks' football practice on Tuesday
• In the Fastball Starts portion of the workout, Raheim Sanders ran twice for no gain. KJ Jefferson completed a pass to tight end Trey Knox on an out route for a gain of probably 15-20 yards. Jefferson then threw incomplete for Knox on the next snap. The ball was tipped by linebacker Jackson Woodard, and nickel back Myles Slusher nearly came up with an interception.
With the second team, Malik Hornsby kept the ball and ran left for 5-6 yards. AJ Green carried twice for minimal gains, then Hornsby completed a nice pass to Bryce Stephens for roughly 12-15 yards.
Cade Fortin threw incomplete on his first pass with the third-team offense, and cornerback Dwight McGlothern was in coverage on the play and broke it up. Rashod Dubinion received back-to-back carries and picked up around six total yards. Fortin closed the period with a 7-8 yard pickup on a pass to freshman tight end Ty Washington.
• Took in quite a bit of the Razorbacks’ receivers working on catching swing passes, "locking the ball” in an arm and getting upfield. Position group coach Kenny Guiton once said to Matt Landers, who is said to have terrific speed and made some big plays in the scrimmage last weekend, “Get skinny on this and it can be a big play.”
Arkansas’ receivers worked on securing the ball in the outside arm moving both left and right.
• Razorbacks running backs coach Jimmy Smith brought a lot of energy to position drills. Just watching the group for a few minutes, it is clear he likes his guys and the way they go about things. He doesn’t have to repeat himself. Players ask questions for clarity and then hit drills with purpose.
One drill that I liked taking in focused on the tailbacks’ approach to blitzing linebackers. Smith harped on hand placement, staying inside the defender's shoulders, balance and drive.
• On the far sideline, cornerback Hudson Clark did about 10 pushups after dropping a pass in a drill. Clark continues to get first-team reps.
Here is a look at the defensive alignment in the Fastball Start:
DE: Eric Gregory
DT: Isaiah Nichols
DE: Zach Williams
LB: Bumper Pool
LB: Jackson Woodard
CB: Hudson Clark
CB: LaDarrius Bishop
S: Jalen Catalon
S: Latavious Brini
S: Simeon Blair
Nickel: Myles Slusher
DE: Landon Jackson
DT: Terry Hampton
DT: Cam Ball AND Nico Davillier
DE: Jordan Domineck
LB: Pooh Paul
LB: Jordan Crook
CB: Khari Johnson
CB: Malik Chavis
S: Zach Zimos
S: Anthony Brown
Nickel: Jaylen Lewis
DE: Dorian Gerald
DT: Kyle Thompson
DT: Taylor Lewis
DE: Eric Thomas
LB: Mani Powell
LB: Kaden Henley
CB: Keuan Parker
CB: Dwight McGlothern
S: Jacorrei Turner
S: McKinley Williams
Nickel: Ethan Joseph
First, second and third offense:
QB: KJ Jefferson / Malik Hornsby / Cade Fortin
RB: Raheim Sanders / AJ Green / Rashod Dubinion
WR: Ketron Jackson / Quincey McAdoo / Landon Rogers
WR: Jason Haselwood / Sam Mbake / Jaquayln Crawford
WR: Matt Landers / Bryce Stephens / Kalil Girault
TE: Trey Knox / Nathan Bax / Ty Washington
LT: Luke Jones / Andrew Chamblee / Terry Wells
LG: Brady Latham / Jalen St. John / Patrick Kutas
C: Ricky Stromberg / Josh Street / Eli Henderson
RG: Beaux Limmer / E'Marion Harris / Brooks Edmonson
RT: Dalton Wagner / Ty'Kieast Crawford / Cole Carson
Have a comment on this story? Join the discussion or start a new one on the Forums.