Scottie Bordelon is a reporter for WholeHogSports.com. A graduate of the University of Arkansas, Bordelon previously covered high school sports for the Times Record in Fort Smith and the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in Springdale. He is a member of the U.S. Basketball Writers Association and Football Writers Association of America and voter for the Biletnikoff Award.
Report: Field set for 2023 Battle 4 Atlantis
A rack of basketballs is shown during a game between Arkansas and Gardner-Webb on Saturday, Nov. 13, 2021 in Bud Walton Arena in Fayetteville.
The field is set for the 2023 Battle 4 Atlantis in The Bahamas, according to a report.
CBS Sports college basketball insider Jon Rothstein reported Wednesday that North Carolina, Villanova, Michigan, Memphis, Oklahoma, Stanford and Northern Iowa will join Arkansas at the event. The Razorbacks will play three games at the tournament.
Arkansas’ involvement in the Battle 4 Atlantis was discovered by WholeHogSports in May through a Freedom of Information Act Request. Neither the Razorbacks nor the event have officially announced Arkansas’ participation.
The Razorbacks have never competed in the event or in The Bahamas. Six teams – North Carolina, Villanova, Michigan, Oklahoma, Northern Iowa, Stanford – will be third-time participants in the tournament, which began in 2011.
Villanova claimed the title in 2013 and 2017, and Michigan won in 2019.
The Battle 4 Atlantis is a prominent early-season event in college basketball. Arkansas is scheduled to play in another top event, the Maui Invitational, later this year.
Arkansas’ record vs. each team
• North Carolina — 3-7 (Last meeting: North Carolina won 87-68 at Phil Knight Invitational in 2017)
• Villanova — 0-3 (Last meeting: Villanova won 76-63 at Top of the World Classic in 1998)
• Michigan — 3-4 (Last meeting: Michigan won 80-67 in 2012)
• Memphis — 11-10 (Last meeting: Memphis won 72-67 in 2003)
• Oklahoma — 16-13 (Last meeting: Oklahoma won 88-66 in 2021)
• Stanford — 0-2 (Last meeting: Stanford won 69-66 at NIT Tip-Off in 2015)
• Northern Iowa — 1-0 (Last meeting: Arkansas won 93-80 in 2021)
Have a comment on this story? Join the discussion or start a new one on the Forums.